Monday, September 10, 2012

Dump and Sew

When Beth at Love Laugh Quilt first posted about Dump and Sew I knew I had a bag of scraps to use. Several weeks before I had come home from Project Linus with a bag full of scraps and strips to make string quilts. I had made 60 blocks and was getting bored and had already started a few crumb blocks. Out dumped the bag, including the crumb blocks. I sorted a little, taking out the RW&B, and added some triangles.
Crumb blocks are at the top of the picture.


The hardest challenge of this project was not to cut as much as I normally do. There were many strips in the bag and I sewed some together, folded, cut in half, and sewed again. I sat at the machine, sewed, did not iron and did not use the rotary cutter; two hours later ended up with 14 odd shaped blocks. It actually was very relaxing letting go of rules and letting the fabric dictate what shape the block was going to end up. This is what I ended up with after ironing, and squared up the corners:


I made some connecting strips.


Final flimsy:


Yes, it looks like I threw in some perfect 16 patch blocks, but this one was made with a 3” and 2 1/2” strips (fungly fabric – lipstick & mascara). Sew, fold, cut. I think I could make a whole quilt this way.


Thanks Beth for challenge. I enjoy this method and will try it again.


Check out the other quilts at the linky party at Love Laugh Quilt.

8 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

Your quilt is turning out nicely! I love the colors. Who would have thought a dump and sew would turn out so lovely!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You did a wonderful job with your dump quilt - how fun!

tink's mom said...

Great job. It is such a freeing way to sew. It turned out very nicely.

Belinda said...

You are really putting a lot of work into this!! Looks great!

Finn said...

It's looking awesome Elaine! I love what you did with those assorted blocks and scraps. Working that way is really fun, I gotta get busy and take some pictures of mine, LOL.
Oral surgery today, sewing tomorrow for sure! Since I can bend or lift for a few days, I don't have to clean or cook...hurray! Hugs, Finn

sewyouquilt2 said...

looks great and what a great way to use up scraps

Pattilou said...

Such a fun outcome! That looks like a fun way to mix things up as it can get boring making string quilts! Although I love the outcome when I sew them together they do sometimes send me into boredom! I'm going to have to remember this process!

joe tulips said...

Love it!!!!