Friday, September 7, 2012

Tony's Shirts

What have I been working on? A memory quilt for a friend of mine using her husbands shirts. Tony passed away about 2 years ago, After 57 years of marriage she is devastated, living with a heartache no one can heal. It's a blessing that she has 5 grandchildren, 2 wonderful sons and daughter-in-laws that live close and see her often.


I offered to make a quilt using Tony's shirts and received 5 plaid/stripe shirts along with 7 knit shirts.


I'm using the ChunkyChurndash pattern from Bonnie Hunter, a free pattern from her blog. I increased the blocks size to a finish 7½". Also added a few flower printed fabrics, they seem to soften the plaids and stripes which seemed so flat alone. I have finished all the blocks, showing about half. I need to square up the hourglass blocks before I sew them together.


I hope this quilt gives her some comfort and she has sweet dreams with Tony's arms around her.


Linking up to Can I get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

2 comments:

Belinda said...

That is so wonderful!! I have a friend who just lost her husband and we are talking about doing that for herself and her two children. Love how yours looks!

joe tulips said...

This is so sweet. Quilts made of a loved ones things are always the best!